Roger Waters - The Wall Live

The photo was taken by Pedro Timóteo, March 22, Lisbon concert

"30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old. It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years, it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with its concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame, and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.

This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another."


I disagree. In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species. I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eats dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other."


Roger Waters

Roger Waters is performing tonight and tomorrow night in Lisbon! Yeahhh!!

Comments